> Allenamento: Periodizzazione e programmazione > Metodi di allenamento
REGISTRATI FAQ Calendario Personal Trainer Gratis Segna come Letti

Rispondi

LinkBack Strumenti Discussione Modalità Visualizzazione
Vecchio
  (#1)
GundamRX91 GundamRX91 Non in Linea
Mobile Suit Moderator

Invia un messaggio via MSN a GundamRX91 Invia un messaggio via Skype a GundamRX91
Predefinito Methods for increase muscle mass - C.Thibaudeau - 12-06-2007, 10:25 PM

Methods for increase muscle mass - C.Thibaudeau

Methods for increase muscle mass - C.Thibaudeau

The pre-fatigue methods

The objective of this method is somewhat similar to the post-fatigue methods in that the goal is to fatigue a specific muscle group that might not get fully stimulated from a complex exercise. I'll still use, as an example, everybody's favorite: The bench press!

As I said in part one, the strongest muscle involved in a movement will rarely be fully stimulated from this movement because the weaker muscles will fail first. However, if you fatigue this muscle BEFORE you perform the main exercise you will be able to fully stimulate it when you do the main exercise. As with the post-fatigue method you use 6-10 reps for the isolation set and 10RM for the main exercise. You do not take any rest between the two exercises and you do 5 of these coupled sets. A sample training for the chest might look like this:

A1. Pec Dec machine 8RM

A2. Bench press 10RM

3 minutes of rest

B1. Pec Dec machine 8RM

B2. Bench press 10RM

3 minutes of rest

C1. Pec Dec machine 8RM

C2. Bench press 10RM

3 minutes of rest

D1. Pec Dec machine 8RM

D2. Bench press 10RM

3 minutes of rest

E1. Pec Dec machine 8RM

E2. Bench press 10RM

This technique is very effective at stimulating hypertrophy in a specific body part (the body part for which you do the isolation exercise). However, it is not as good for developing overall hypertrophy as the post-fatigue method because it is possible that you will not be able to use as much weight on the main exercise because of the pre-fatigue set.

Because of that characteristic, the main use of this method is to improve a weak body part. If you have an underdeveloped chest compared to your shoulders and arms, use a pre-fatigue set for the chest. If your back is lacking behind your arms and shoulders, use a pre-fatigue set for the back. And it isn't even obligatory to do a pre-fatigue set for the strongest muscle group in the main exercise: For example, if you feel like your triceps sucks compared to your chest you can pre-fatigue them before doing your bench press.

There are three variations to this method and it refers to the nature of the pre-fatigue exercise. The pre-fatigue exercise can either be:

Concentric – Eccentric (normal set)
Eccentric only
Isometric/static
Here are examples of each type (the Concentric – Eccentric method has already been illustrated)

Eccentric only

A1. Negative leg extension 4 slow reps at 120% of max

A2. Back squat 10RM

3 minutes of rest

B1. Negative leg extension 4 slow reps at 120% of max

B2. Back squat 10RM

3 minutes of rest

C1. Negative leg extension 4 slow reps at 120% of max

C2. Back squat 10RM

3 minutes of rest

D1. Negative leg extension 4 slow reps at 120% of max

D2. Back squat 10RM

3 minutes of rest

E1. Negative leg extension 4 slow reps at 120% of max

E2. Back squat 10RM

Isometric/Static

A1. Leg extension hold at a 450 angle for 10-20 seconds

A2. Back squat 10RM

3 minutes of rest

B1. Leg extension hold at a 450 angle for 10-20 seconds

B2. Back squat 10RM

3 minutes of rest

C1. Leg extension hold at a 450 angle for 10-20 seconds

C2. Back squat 10RM

3 minutes of rest

D1. Leg extension hold at a 450 angle for 10-20 seconds

D2. Back squat 10RM

3 minutes of rest

E1. Leg extension hold at a 450 angle for 10-20 seconds

E2. Back squat 10RM

Again, these three methods are slightly different one from another so they can be used in alternation to avoid stalling in your training by varying the stimulus on your body. I know I might sound like a broken record, but part 3 will teach you how to organize these various techniques into a hypertrophy plan.

Pre and Post-fatigue methods

This is most certainly the hardest hypertrophy method of all, and probably the most effective as well. It simply is a mix of the pre-fatigue methods and post-fatigue methods. Since each bout of exercise will have 3 sets you do only 3 or 4 bout of exercise (for a total of 9 or 12 sets). Since you could virtually mix all the pre and post-fatigue methods together there is 15 possible variations of this technique. I will not list them all it would be too long, consider the following graphic instead:

===================
- Concentric - Eccentric
- Eccentric only
- Isometric/Static
===================

===================
+ Main Exercise 10RM +
===================

================================
- Concentric - Eccentric (diff. movement)
- Isometric reps (same movement)
- Eccentric reps (same movement)
- Assisted reps (same movement)
- Normal, same movement (lighter)
================================

I will not give one example for each method as it would be WAY to long, and you can make your own examples by simply understanding the pre-fatigue method and post-fatigue method.

However, I will give you three examples of what I consider to be the most frequent variations.

Concentric – Eccentric (diff. movement) + Main + Concentric – Eccentric (diff. movement)
A1. Pec Dec machine 6RM

A2. Bench press 10RM

A3. Incline flies 6RM

3 minutes of rest

B1. Pec Dec machine 6RM

B2. Bench press 10RM

B3. Incline flies 6RM

3 minutes of rest

C1. Pec Dec machine 6RM

C2. Bench press 10RM

C3. Incline flies 6RM

3 minutes of rest

D1. Pec Dec machine 6RM

D2. Bench press 10RM

D3. Incline flies 6RM

Concentric – Eccentric (diff. movement) + Main + Concentric – Eccentric (same movement)
A1. Incline flies 6RM

A2. Bench press 10RM

A3. Bench press 6RM with 20% less weight

3 minutes of rest

B1. Incline flies 6RM

B2. Bench press 10RM

B3. Bench press 6RM with 20% less weight

3 minutes of rest

C1. Incline flies 6RM

C2. Bench press 10RM

C3. Bench press 6RM with 20% less weight

3 minutes of rest

D1. Incline flies 6RM

D2. Bench press 10RM

D3. Bench press 6RM with 20% less weight

Eccentric only + Main + Eccentric – Concentric (diff. movement)
A1. Negative leg extension 4 slow reps with 120% of max

A2. Back squat 10RM

A3. Leg press 6RM

3 minutes of rest

B1. Negative leg extension 4 slow reps with 120% of max

B2. Back squat 10RM

B3. Leg press 6RM

3 minutes of rest

C1. Negative leg extension 4 slow reps with 120% of max

C2. Back squat 10RM

C3. Leg press 6RM

3 minutes of rest

D1. Negative leg extension 4 slow reps with 120% of max

D2. Back squat 10RM

D3. Leg press 6RM

As I said, the pre and post-fatigue methods are the hardest physically and the most effective. However it is not a kind of training that can be sustained for a long time. I would not suggest using it for more than 2-3 weeks as it could lead eventually to overtraining. But (here we go again!!!) with what you will learn in part 3 you will be able to use it at the right time and for the right amount of time.

The supersets method

Well, supersets have already been covered partially because all pre/post/ pre and post-fatigue methods are supersets. Supersets can be any coupling of any exercises done without any pause between them. However in this part of the article I will talk about 1 type of supersets: The Antagonists supersets.

An antagonists superset is the coupling of two exercises that work opposing body parts. This method allows you to do twice as much work in the same time period, which is a big time saver. It can also lead to a higher GH release, which might or might not be beneficial for added hypertrophy gains. I feel that, compared to all the other training methods detailed so far in the first two parts of this article, that the antagonists superset is the least intensive and least effective method to stimulate hypertrophy. However I find it particularly useful and effective when it follows 2-3 weeks of the pre and post-fatigue method. It allow your body to recover (because you do only half the work for a specific muscle group) while continuing to gain muscle.

Here is an example of an antagonists superset:

A1. Bench press 10RM

A2. Lat pulldown 10RM

3 minutes of rest

B1. Bench press 10RM

B2. Lat pulldown 10RM

3 minutes of rest

C1. Bench press 10RM

C2. Lat pulldown 10RM

3 minutes of rest

D1. Bench press 10RM

D2. Lat pulldown 10RM

3 minutes of rest

E1. Bench press 10RM

E2. Lat pulldown 10RM

The drop set method

The drop set method, if pushed to the extreme, can be even harder then the pre and post-fatigue methods. The drop set method is an extension of the post-fatigue method where you use the same exercise with a lighter load after your main set. Only, in the drop set method you add 2-6 additional post-fatigue sets of the same exercise with gradually decreasing loads. This method is probably the best to fully stimulate a muscle group, but it can be truly excruciating and hard. And like the pre and post-fatigue method is should never be used for more than 2-3 weeks straight. Always remember to stay within the 8-12 total sets range (if you use 6 drops in a set do only 2 bouts)

Here is an example of an "easy" drop set:
A1. Bench press 10RM

A2. Bench press 4-8RM with 20% less weight

A3. Bench press 4-8RM with 20% less weight

3 minutes of rest

B1. Bench press 10RM

B2. Bench press 4-8RM with 20% less weight

B3. Bench press 4-8RM with 20% less weight

3 minutes of rest

C1. Bench press 10RM

C2. Bench press 4-8RM with 20% less weight

C3. Bench press 4-8RM with 20% less weight

3 minutes of rest

D1. Bench press 10RM

D2. Bench press 4-8RM with 20% less weight

D3. Bench press 4-8RM with 20% less weight

Example of an "average" drop set:
A1. Bench press 10RM

A4. Bench press 4-8 RM with 20% less weight

3 minutes of rest

B1. Bench press 10RM

B4. Bench press 4-8 RM with 20% less weight

3 minutes of rest

C1. Bench press 10RM

C2. Bench press 4-8RM with 20% less weight

C3. Bench press 4-8RM with 20% less weight

C4. Bench press 4-8 RM with 20% less weight

Example of a "hard" drop set:
A1. Bench press 10RM

A4. Bench press 4-8 RM with 20% less weight

A5. Bench press 4-8 RM with 20% less weight

3 minutes of rest

B1. Bench press 10RM

B4. Bench press 4-8 RM with 20% less weight

B5. Bench press 4-8 RM with 20% less weight

This complete the overview of the possible hypertrophy methods. All and all it gives us 26 hypertrophy techniques (or 29 if you count the easy, average and hard drop sets). Which is enough techniques to train all year for increased hypertrophy while only using the same technique after 3-6 months (You will rotate the technique you use every 1-2 weeks ... more on that in part 3). And if you use different exercises on your both times on a particular technique you will train in a slightly different manner every 2 week while keeping the same nature of training. As Charles Poliquin says, you will train differently enough to vary the stimulus and avoid overtraining and similarly enough to keep making gains!

Part 3 will come sometimes between Friday and Monday. I'm writing this 3 parts series as fast a I can because I know that the sooner it will be over, the sooner you'll start getting huge! So expect the final part soon enough.

Until then, train hard!

Vecchio
  (#2)
GundamRX91 GundamRX91 Non in Linea
Mobile Suit Moderator

Invia un messaggio via MSN a GundamRX91 Invia un messaggio via Skype a GundamRX91
Predefinito 12-06-2007, 10:25 PM

Post originale di Tino77.
Rispondi
Tags: , , , ,

Strumenti Discussione
Modalità Visualizzazione